Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving

The girls and I travelled out of town to be with friends this Thanksgiving. We just couldn't have Thanksgiving at our house. B would have been cooking all week long and we would have had a house full of guests.

B would always make pumpkin pie for breakfast on Thanksgiving. My older daughter made a pie for us. I really appreciate her doing that. I'm afraid it just brought up some memories, though, and I found it hard to even eat or speak. I was grateful, but I know my daughter couldn't tell it.

I read Psalm 100 (or as some call it "Old Hundredth") this morning:

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.


Giving thanks is good. When you consider the first American Thanksgiving, and all the hunger, disease, and death that our Pilgrim fathers suffered in the preceeding months, it is incredible. It reminds me that my own pain, though deep, is not unique even though I might think it is. It also reminds me that praise is possible even in these difficult times.

I'm blogging this during the half-time of the Texas-Texas A&M game. The Aggies are giving the defending national champ Longhorns fits and are ahead. Wish they would show the half-time show. I always enjoy the bands.

No comments:

Baptism

  Doctrinal Study Baptism    I.        Mode of Baptism  A.      Various modes of Baptism  1.      Immersion – In this view, a person must be...