Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sunday

It was good to go to church today. That always ministers to my soul. Those who know me, know that I'm a bit of a traditionalist -- I really enjoy the hymns. Some of the new songs are good, but a lot of them are sentimental ("Draw me close to you...never let me go... feel the warmth of your embrace...") I refer to this genre as "Jesus is my boyfriend" music. I try to take these songs in the spirit in which they are meant, but, frankly, where's the beef? In my not so humble opinion, I'm not sure it's appropriate to approach the Creator of the Universe like some sort of Cosmic Teddy Bear.

I guess the analogy I can draw is between that of my earthly father to my Heavenly Father. I loved my father deeply, and I often told him that I loved Him, but I would have said "Dad, I love you" instead of "Dad, I'm in love with you." Therefore, I'm a little (actually, a lot) uncomfortable singing "Jesus, I'm so in love with You." Maybe women are more comfortable with expressing that type of sentiment, but I'm thinking that most men are as disconcerted as I am in that regard. (Could this be why our churches are not reaching as many men as women? Just a thought.)

That said, there is a place and purpose for the role of the Godhead in the ministry of comforting us in time of trouble. I'm reminded of the old hymn by Charles Wesley:
Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.


Some might say that that is overly sentimental, but 1 Corinthians says: "Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ." (chapter 1, verses 3-5)

So, excuse me while I drop the deep theological premises and simply seek comfort in the arms of my Lord and Master, as a weak scared child might crawl into the lap of a loving father.


"Is he safe?"
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver... "Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."
C.S.Lewis

No comments:

Baptism

  Doctrinal Study Baptism    I.        Mode of Baptism  A.      Various modes of Baptism  1.      Immersion – In this view, a person must be...