Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Comfort Food

Being "single" (I hate using that term) again, I've had to learn how to cook for myself. I'm not all that creative, but I do enjoy seeing how I put my own stamp on an old favorite. Here's a recipe I developed last night, and it turned out excellently:

Timotheus' Hearty Meatloaf
(reduced sodium)
adapted from a old recipe with modifications inspired by Alton Brown

1 pound ground chuck
1 pound ground sirloin
3/4 c. uncooked oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. catsup
1/4 c. milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
------
1/2 c. catsup
3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 tsp. prepared spicy brown mustard
1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish

Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine thoroughly, but avoid compressing the meat.
Use a large loaf (10 inch) loaf pan to mold the loaf shape.
Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray.
(Alternatively, use two small (7.5") loaf pans.)
Bake at 350F degrees for 40 minutes.

Combine the last 4 ingredients; spoon over meat loaf and bake 15 more minutes (or until meat thermometer registers 155F degrees.)

Sodium content: 400mg/serving

No comments:

Baptism

  Doctrinal Study Baptism    I.        Mode of Baptism  A.      Various modes of Baptism  1.      Immersion – In this view, a person must be...